Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Let There be Light (finally!)

     Today is a good day. Not only has the power stayed on for three days straight (now crossing my fingers that I didn't jinx it and my computer doesn't shut off before this publishes) but I also had a great Monday at school. I'm now starting week number four (time is FLYING), which is also my first full five day school week since getting to Ghana (due to Holidays and Mid-Term break). I FINALLY have all 46 of my students names down, and am teaching lessons in both of my KG2 classrooms. The school days are becoming much more enjoyable now that I'm used to the daily routine and know all my students.
    Last week Sara and I went to the nearby Madina market after school with our guide Phelicia. I had heard it was a big place- but holy cow, it was endless. There was vendor after vendor selling pretty much everything under the sun. We spent a little time looking around, but our main mission was fabric. Most people here in Ghana don't buy pre-made clothes like in America. Instead they buy fabrics of their choosing and have everything custom made by their seamstress (Auntie says EVERYONE has a seamstress). Since Auntie is taking us to an engagement party (Ghanaian tradition) next weekend, she is giving us traditional Kente Dresses that we can wear to the party and then have for our keeping. Kente dresses our colorful, long dresses that people wear to traditional events or church. In addition to getting that dress made, Sara and I both bought addition fabric to have some skirts and dresses made too.
    This weekend, we brought all our new fabrics to Auntie's seamstress and got measured and picked out our styles. We will pick up the final products this week and are VERY excited. This past weekend we also went with Phelicia to the Accra Mall in the city. It is Ghana's only shopping mall and is decently new. It felt very wierd to be there because it was identical to any shopping mall you would go to in America. It was crazy how expensive everything was there, especially when outside the mall walls everything here is super cheap. I had to laugh because just like in Cape Coast, when we were in the mall we were no longer the only white people around. So basically the two place we see other white people are the beach and the mall, how typical!
    Since I normally write novels I'll cut this entry short(er). I'll end with the fact that at this time next week I will be halfway through my adventure in Ghana...AH! I can't believe how fast the time is moving.

Until next time,
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment