Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Beginning of the End

     Now that December has started Ancilla has began its revision period before exams, which start next week. That means we are now done teaching new content and spend each day going over what will be on the exams. Even my Kindergarteners will spend five full days taking ten different end of the term exams. I'm interested to see how they handle those long days.
    I have also begun working on the students final reports. After exams, each student will get a report that has the score they received on each exam and where that score ranks them among their classmates in each subject. It also has behavior and student interest comments, which my teacher actually put me in charge of. I had to go through each report and list 2-3 adjectives that described the students work ethic and personality, and also list which subject they seem to take the most interest in. I was a little nervous to take on the job solo but was also happy that my teacher trusted me with it!
    This Friday we don't have school because Ghana has its election day. Schools close because that's where many of the polls are located. Even though Ancilla  doesn't host the polls we still get the day off. This is only Ghana's 5th presidential election, so it's a pretty big deal to the people here. Unlike many other African countries, all of Ghana's elections have gone smoothly and with no violence- so I'm hoping this one is no different. Just to be safe, we'll be staying in the area this weekend.
     It is crazy to think that in just over TWO WEEKS I will be coming home. I've become so accustomed to life here it's definitely going to be an adjustment coming back. Sara and I laugh because we realize how many things we say differently after being around British English all day every day. We'll say things like "my stomach is paining me" or call a flashlight a torch without event thinking twice. I also talk much slower here because most people have trouble understanding my accent.
    One last story to end this update- This morning at school I saw a parent that was wearing a Green Bay Packers Super Bowl Champions T-shirt! I stopped him and told him that's where I live and that they were my team. He then told me that he was at the Super Bowl in Dallas! I guess at the time he was living in Florida  and going to the game was something he wanted to before coming back to Ghana. What a small world! ( I admit it made me sad I couldn't watch a majority of football season)

No comments:

Post a Comment